When I saw the Dutch translation of Bex Hogan’s Viper in the upcoming releases sections everywhere early November, I was not sure whether I wanted to read it or not. However, I tried it, because this book kept me curious. Did I like it as much as I’d expected? Time for a bullet point review!Viper by Bex Hogan
Series: Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1
Narrator: Saffron Coomber
Length: 11 hours, 2 minutes
Genres: Young Adult
on April 18, 2019
Marianne has been training to be the Viper for her entire life - to serve and protect the King and the citizens of The Twelve Isles - but to become the Viper and protect the islands she loves she must find the strength to defeat her father. A new fantasy trilogy perfect for fans of Sarah J Maas.
He will make me a killer.
Or he will have me killed.
That is my destiny.
Seventeen-year-old Marianne is fated to one day become the Viper, defender of the Twelve Isles.
But the reigning Viper stands in her way. Corrupt and merciless, he prowls the seas in his warship, killing with impunity, leaving only pain and suffering in his wake.
He's the most dangerous man on the ocean . . . and he is Marianne's father.
She was born to protect the islands. But can she fight for them if it means losing her family, her home, the boy she loves - and perhaps even her life?
A brave heroine. An impossible dilemma. An epic new fantasy trilogy set on the high seas.
- My expectations were average since I wasn’t sure what to expect. I expected an interesting book with an incredibly fast pace and lots of action.
- I got that fast pace and lots of action, but the book wasn’t that interesting.
- In the beginning, it started out quite good. Marianne is commended by her father and wants to break free. This is super cliche, such a bummer. However, I hoped that the story took some interesting turns.
- When the story advanced, everything became really predictable. All the events were either cliche or could be predicted long ago. I got quite bored to say the least.
- The world building was good, but the characters are shaloow, so is the story.
- Viper was okay, but not good enough to get me invested and for me to want to continue this trilogy.