When I started reading V. E. Schwab’s books last summer, I instantly bought Vicious. However, it took me a while to pick this one up and unfortunately it didn’t meet my very high expectations.Vicious by V.E. Schwab, Victoria Schwab
Published by Tor on September 24, 2013
Series: Villains #1
Victor and Eli started out as college roommates—brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong.
Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find—aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge—but who will be left alive at the end?
I will keep this review very short…….
- Schwab’s writing and world building are fenomenal again, as always.
- So are the flash backs etc.
- The characters however were not the greatest, they didn’t really work for me.
- Nor did the story. I just couldn’t get sucked into it and I was bored? It took me nearly 2 weeks to finish Vicious.
- It was less interesting than Schwab’s other books and I just don’t have anything with heroes……
- I will try Vengeful but then as audiobook, because maybe that will work better for me.