Top Ten Tuesday is created by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl and it’s purpose is that you make a top 10 list on Tuesday out of the topics she provides. However, you don’t have to stick exactly to 10, you may also put more or less books/things on the lists. Moreover, you are allowed to give an “unique” spin to the topic whenever that works better for you. Well, let’s move on to this week’s list!
This week I’m picking an older topic, one which could be a little controversial. Today’s pick is: Most Unfortunate Character Names. Unfortunately, some characters have weird, funny or uncommon names. Let’s explore these.
- Dimple, Twinkle and Sweetie from the books by Sandhya Menon. I’m really certain that Indian people don’t name their kids like them…… I can’t even read these books because of these names. Oh and because the stories don’t capture me of course.
- Blue in both The Raven Cycle and Girls Of Paper And Fire.
- Stepon in Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik.
- Breckin in Hopeless by Colleen Hoover. I’m not sure if this is a common name, but for me as a Dutch person it sounds strange. It was the first time I saw this name when reading this book.
- January in Last Seen Living by Caleb Roehrig. Like….. maybe this is a language thingy? But I have never seen that name before, nor in Dutch.
- Caleb Roehrig seems to have a thing with unfortunate names, because in White Rabbit we have a Race and a Fox. Ouch, Fox.
- Winkel, Poppy And Midnight from this exact book. The book doesn’t sound appealing to me, so I’m not reading it.
- Holland in A Darker Shade Of Magic by V. E. Schwab, it always makes me think of my country instead of the villain.
- America from The Selection by Kiera Cass. No explanation needed right?
So far, my unfortunate character names. Do you have any suggestions?