Top Ten Tuesday is created by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl and it’s purpose is that you make a top 10 list on Tuesday out of the topics she provides. However, you don’t have to stick exactly to 10, you may also put more or less books/things on the lists. Moreover, you are allowed to give an “unique” spin to the topic whenever that works better for you. Well, let’s move on to this week’s list!
Today’s theme is: Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book. Well, I’m sure I can’t mention ten things, since paper, format and cover are things I don’t have to take into account. Due to my low vision I only read ebooks and audiobooks, so no physical books at all. Well, here we go.
- Author; If the book is written by an author I usually pick up fast, I will most likely pick up their new book too.
- Blurb; If the blurb sounds appealing, sure!
- Availability as ebook; If the book is not available as an ebook, it’s an immediate no for me. In the Netherlands we have two publishers who release good books, but they don’t do ebooks at all. This way they exclude a whole target group in my opinion. Some books are available in English, but they also publish Dutch authors. And yes I read some of those books too. Now I have to wait till the library for the blind get them ready as audio but that can take up to a year. The hype is long gone then. For example: there is one book I really want to read and I’m waiting since September. Its sequel publishes in June, and the last book in that trilogy in fall 2019. I might be lucky when I finally can read the first book in fall.
- Reviews; I am a sucker for reviews. If a book gets loads of negative reviews, I most likely won’t pick up.
- Genre; There are some genres I don’t read at all. I’m also not a fan of midle-grade books, so I won’t pick them up that often.
- Length; I won’t pick up another big book anytime soon because I got bored with my last attempt. The Priory Of The Orange Tree. I might still review it though.
- Narrator; If the narrator of an audiobook does not sound appealing, nope nope nope. Maybe I will pick it up as a Kindle copy then, but this is not working for all books.
I think I covered everything. What are the things that make you pick up a book?